How is a door-to-door action carried out on Qomon? 🚪
💻 How to create a canvassing action from the web platform
⚠️ There are two methods through which you can set-up canvassing actions:
• Using the addresses in your contact database.
• Based on geographical area. This method is most commonly used when you have not imported a file into your contact database. You will be given a street list and you can add contacts directly from the Qomon app.
1️⃣ From the "Actions" tab
On the left of your screen, click on "Action" and then "Create an action" on the top right.
Simply select the type of action you'd like, in this case "Canvassing".
Choose the zone in which you want the canvassing to take place. Select one or more streets, or even, a city:
You can also draw and select an area where you want to conduct your canvassing directly on the map; It could be a polling station, a district or neighborhood, or even a geographic area (North, South…).
• ⚠️ Decide which method you would like to use (description below the image underneath):
➡️ "The selected area": Canvass the entire area or street(s) that you chose. This includes areas where you have both contacts already in your database and areas where you don't. You'll be able to add new contacts directly on the app and update any existing contacts.
➡️ "On my selected contacts": Your members will be given specific addresses from your contact database that reside in the area/streets you have selected. They'll be able to update any existing contacts directly on the Qomon app.
➡️ "The streets where I don't have contacts": Specifically target people in the selected area that are not already in your contact database. Your members will be able to create new contacts directly on the Qomon app.
2️⃣ From the "Map" tab
On the left of the screen, you can click on any part of your city.
• Select an area that you'd like to initiate a canvassing action. (You can choose to select the contacts in the area or simply the list of streets).
Click on the "Create an action here" button.
📲 How does this look on a mobile phone?
The first few screens that the volunteers assigned to a canvassing action will see are:
• Notification under their Actions tab
• The action's information (date, time...) and they will be given the option to mark their attendance.
• The option to start the action
• A roadmap with the list of contacts to visit. Select the street/address to see and update information on the contacts at that location.
(The knock corresponds to a file in your contact database)
📲 From there, the canvassing volunteer will:
Qomon is now used as a digital notebook for volunteers. All the tools you need for effective mobilisation are in one app! 🤳
• Be at a specific address, select the contact to start a discussion with them. The first question is used to mark the person as: Present, Absent, or Refuses to speak to you.
• If the contact is Present and your volunteer has the person's consent, your survey will appear automatically and they can begin filling it out. (How to create a survey)
• If the discussion went well, you will hopefully be able to register the contact card with an email address or a phone number. This information is extremely important for your HQ and your cause!
Once you have finished speaking with the contact, you will have the option to "add follow up" information. It is optional, but if the exchange went well, take this opportunity to report back.
• If your volunteers click on "Add follow ups", they'll be able to register the contact's level of support and then assign a task to that contact under the "next steps" options. The "next steps" options are for contacts that really hit it off! Perhaps they want to be updated, attend the next event, or to be contacted again.
• Seize the opportunity! Once you've indicated which next steps to take, that information will be sent directly to HQ, both INSTANTLY and SAFELY.
• If the person wishes to be contacted, don't forget about them! 😉
"Complete an address"
Here are a few shortcuts available on the Qomon app.
• Just slide your finger on the street or number you are interested in to mark the whole street or number as "Completed".
• This allows you to take out or check off certain addresses that have been visited or are not accessible.
• It could be used for a completely blocked building, or a partially finished street that your campaign does not wish to fully complete.
⚠️ Caution: If you create a NEW action, in which there is a street that has been declared as "completed" with this shortcut, this street WILL APPEAR in the new action!
Tips and Best Practices:
• Think of the Qomon mobile app as a digital notebook. Write down all information gathered during a meeting.
• Depending on certain responses to the survey, status, or opportunities, you can set up automatic email to be sent directly after the interview. Remember to fill in the email address correctly. To know more.
• Be specific when gathering information on a contact, it makes communication better and more personal.
• Prepare your action thoroughly in order to have all elements of communication and arrangements you need before you get started.
• You can skip one or more questions, or go directly to the contact card by clicking on "see questions" during a survey.
• If a person does not exist at the address indicated, you can create a new contact file for the individual actually residing there by selecting the ✚ at the top right of the screen. Some information will be available automatically (Number, street, territory, city).